Saturday, November 28, 2015

Thanksgiving 2015

HAPPY THANKSGIVING!

I hope everybody had a wonderful Thanksgiving with your friends and family. Luckily for us, the snow melted, but it rained a bit on Thanksgiving day. I got up early Thursday morning, worked out, got dressed, and headed to my mom's to help cook for the 13 guests she was expecting. 


Most of my family and their spouses were present and my mom is known for cooking enough food for an army. I arrived at her house around 11:30 and after spending 90% of my time in the kitchen I didn't want not one bite by the time it was all ready. 

Set up didn't go as we had planned due to being over ruled as to how everybody should be situated, so we all just kind of meandered about with plates in hand or on our laps. I had a nice small glass of wine for dinner, and we were back home by 7:00.

Getting home early was fine by me because I had to be up early getting ready to host my own Thanksgiving dinner for my in-laws. I got up around 6:30 and deep cleaned the kitchen before I got started (among other rooms). 




On the menu:
Banana Bread - Mashed Rutabaga - Dried Fruit Black Rice - Mushroom Stuffing - Roasted Rainbow Carrots - Baked Asparagus - Curried Butternut Squash Soup - Apple & Maple Glazed Lentil Loaf - Mushroom Gravy 

Dessert:
Mini Pumpkin Pies - Apple Granola Crumble 

My mother in law brought a cranberry apple sauce and home made whipped cream for the desserts. 

Prep and cooking that morning went surprisingly well! I've never made a Thanksgiving dinner before but I was especially excited about this one because everything was vegan.  It was fun to do something different. When my husband told me about maybe hosting a dinner (which was less than a week before hand) I said, "I've never cooked a turkey and I'm not about to learn less than a week away". 

All in all it was a great day and I was very thankful. Dan got 75% of the living room painted and chair rails up. We've been doing a bit of rearranging and it's really looking wonderful. 

If you're lucky and got a long weekend off work I hope you all are having a great time with the ones you love. 

XO-ANGELLE


No comments:

Post a Comment